Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Bandster & Mom's Chili

Hey Everybody! There is a new bandster in town and she could really use lots of Sisterhood lovin' and support. Her name is Angela and her blog is A Better Me :)    She had her surgery a week ago and she's having a really hard time right now. AND if things aren't crazy enough when you first have surgery....she became a new foster-mom to a 2 day old baby just 5 days before her surgery. Hell I could barely take care of myself after surgery let alone the thought of a new baby. She's a single mom with 2 of the cutest girls and now a new baby. Please visit her blog and give her a big hug!

I had lots of good ideas for blog posts this week, one of them with lots of pictures for Sandy Lee's picture-post challenge. Alas, it will have to wait. Hubby started back to school and started back to work all in the same 24 hours. And my son is finally growing, that's the good news. The bad news is his bones are growing faster than his ligaments. So when the bone in his foot grew, the ligament wasn't as fast and the ligament broke a piece of bone off his foot. It's very painful and he's miserable. No karate for 3 weeks. No jumping, no running, no kicking. It's been one day and he's already driving me crazy! I'll get the picture post up, just don't throw tomatoes :)

Tonight I'm getting Chili ready for the crock pot tomorrow. Actually, I'm putting all together in the crock and putting it in the fridge for hubby to put in the pot tomorrow. I have never done it the night before so hopefully it will turn out ok. And since I have the recipe handy I thought I'd share it with all my sisters here.


Mom's Chili

2 lbs lean ground beef, cooked & drained
3 cans kidney beans (I like to use 3 different kinds of beans)
3 small cans tomato sauce
3 reg cans stewed tomatoes (regular stewed tomatoes, the kind with celery, peppers, and onion)
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp dry mustard (it has to be dry mustard)
2 or 3 beef bullion cubes
garlic salt or powder - couple sprinkles
1 glug worcestershire sauce
1 glug apple cider vinegar
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
little bit of brown sugar (I just get a small handful out of the canister)

Crock Pot: Combine everything together in a large crock pot (I have an oval one) and cook for about 6 hours on high.

Stove Top: Combine everything in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 hours. It's much better in the crock pot but I have done it this way in a pinch.

This is thick chili, so if want it more saucy then only use 1 lb of hamburger. Or sometimes I'll only use 1 lb of hamburger and add more beans. This is great to freeze in individual servings for lunches at work. And it's a yummy mushy too!!

3 comments:

  1. I love chili. Thanks for the reciepe.

    Going on over to Angela's. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I am looking forward to the cooler weather so I can make some!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog through the BOOBS blog. Can't wait to meet you in Chicago. Thanks for the recipe. I love me some chili.

    ReplyDelete